Grandma's Gluten-Free Baking N Cooking

Gluten-Free Does Not Mean Flavor Free

Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta - Penne Style

We bought Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta - Penne Style and topped it with chili. It was wonderful. Great texture. You will not be disappointed in the flavor. We really enjoyed it.

Please make sure to stir as soon as you put in water - if it sticks together, it will not come apart!

Besides the directions on the package, another method is to bring the water to a rolling boil then stir in pasta - continue to stir for about a minute (or until you no longer feel that slight resistance from the pasta). Then cover with lid and turn off stove. Leave cover on for 15-20 minutes until desired texture is achieved. Then drain and rinse with cold water to prevent over cooking.

Since we have received many questions from various sources, we will recap the instructions:

1. Stir pasta into boiling water and keep stirring until you no longer feel a resistance

2. Cover the pasta and turn off the stove.

3. Leave covered until the texture you desire is reached (this will be less than the cooking time on the package).

4. Drain and rinse with cold water.

We bought the 16 oz size.

It is wheat free/ gluten-free / soy free / cholesterol free/ vegan / low fat / low sodium.

The only ingredients are stone ground brown rice, rice bran & water. They do not use any other grain in their plant to prevent cross contamination.

Views: 1176

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tinkyada is my favorite pasta, hands down. I've tried the penne, shells, sphagetti, and spirals. All perform well, and the shells will even hold up in a casserole. (Cooked then baked) The only drawback is that they turn to mush quickly when used in a soup.
Tinkyada is why it is not such a chore being gluten free. Their pastas are incredible.
I made a great pasta salad with Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta and Brianna's salad dressing.
Ingredients:
Tinkyada Brown Rice Vegetable Spirals
1 bag frozen small cut broccoli, corn and red pepper
Brianna's Champagne Caper Vinaigrette
black pepper
Kosher salt

The night before or 5-6 hours before you plan to serve, put the frozen veggies in a bowl and add dressing. Stirring it up make sure all the veggies are coated, then cover and refrigerate.
The veggies thaw and marinate, soaking up lots of yummy flavor.

Next day cook the pasta and drain. Combine with the marinated veggies adding more dressing to taste. How much more depends on you. Do you like a dry pasta salad or wet?
Add salt and pepper to taste.

It's a beautiful, colorful and tasty salad.
Do you have any tips for this (and most) GF pastas making the water so murky/gummy while it cooks. I find no matter how much I rinse.. it has a gummy consistency even if it is al dente. I've tried oil, lots of stirring, etc. My son eats it anyways - just wondering if anyone has a magic tip for perfect pasta!!!!
From my original post:

Besides the directions on the package, another method is to bring the water to a rolling boil then stir in pasta - continue to stir for about a minute. Then cover with lid and turn off stove. Leave cover on for 15-20 minutes until desired texture is achieved. Then drain and rinse with cold water to prevent over cooking.

This takes care of any issues - the pasta turns out perfect every time. I think they should change the directions on the package to the above because it turns out so much better!
After reading my instructions again, I realize that I did not say to adjust length of time depending on type of pasta. I found with the elbow pasta that "cooking" it for only 11 minutes instead of the stated 15 minutes on the package is better. Basically, cook it for less time than the package says. You have to figure out for your personal tastes and the type of pasta you are using, how much to reduce to the cooking time.

Thanks Cindy - I needed to clarify this more.
I love Tinkyada brand pasta! I will often make more than I need and store the rest of the plain noodles in the refrigerator for later in the week. I love making Mac and Cheese or Chili Mac.

RSS

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

Notes

Follow Us On Facebook

Created by Joyce Paige Nov 3, 2015 at 11:08am. Last updated by Joyce Paige Nov 3, 2015.

Follow Me On Twitter

Created by Joyce Paige May 16, 2009 at 2:27pm. Last updated by Joyce Paige May 16, 2009.

Notes Home

Welcome! To view all notes, click here.

Created by Joyce Paige Jan 10, 2009 at 6:26pm. Last updated by Joyce Paige Jan 10, 2009.

© 2018   Created by Joyce Paige.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service